The Pre A1 Starters English exam is designed for children between the ages of 6-8 who have had approximately 100 hours of English lessons at school. This might be the child’s first international exam so it’s normal for them to feel a bit nervous.
To help children prepare thoroughly for the exam, FLYER introduces parents to the updated Starters practice exams and the official Cambridge Starters exam preparation book. With the help of these materials, getting ready for the Starters exam will be simpler than it has ever been.
1. An overview of the Starters exam
Pre A1 Starters is the first of three exams in the “Cambridge English: Young Learners” (YLE) program for children, administered by the University of Cambridge’s English Language Assessment. It is the starting point on the journey to mastering English according to the Cambridge curriculum.
Children who have attained a Pre A1 Starters competency level can utilize English in conversational contexts. Among them are:
|Communicate with simple sentences
|Spell their name and basic words
|Respond to simple questions
|Know basic nouns referring to people and objects
|Understand simple storytelling
|Comprehend short and concise dialogues
|Listen and follow simple instructions
|Copy words, phrases, and short sentences with accurate spelling
|Understand descriptions of familiar objects
|Recognize and write English alphabet letters
2. Latest format Cambridge Starters practice tests
The current Cambridge Starters exam follows the most recent format update from 2018. Below are two practice test sets for Starters provided by Cambridge. These practice tests allow children to become familiar with the structure and requirements of each section in the exam. Each Starters practice test set includes:
- Color-coded questions for the Listening, Reading & Writing and Speaking sections.
- Answer keys for each section.
- Tapescript for the Listening section.
2.1. Starters practice test set 1
Download Starters Exam 1:
>>> Link to download audio Listening Starters 1 HERE
2.2. Starters practice test set 2
Download Starters Exam 2:
>>> Link to download audio Listening Starters 2 HERE
Once your child finishes the two practice exams parents can refer to the provided answer keys to assess their performance. Here’s how you can score their tests:
- For the Reading & Writing section, there are a total of 25 questions, each correct answer is worth 1 point.
- For the Listening section, there are a total of 20 questions, each correct answer is worth 1 point.
Parents can calculate the total score and convert it into a scale score based on the guidance provided by Cambridge:
3. 200+ Cambridge Starters practice tests on the virtual testing platform
Access over 200+ Starters practice tests on the FLYER Virtual English Testing Platform to provide your child with preparation for the Cambridge Starters exam.
- These exams have been carefully compiled to match the format (up to 90%) following Cambridge’s latest standards.
- The automatic scoring system and answer key will help students review and study effectively at home.
- Interactive exercises and game simulations stimulate children’s brain activity and interest in learning.
- It offers various fun learning features such as challenges with friends, short practice exercises, and vocabulary reviews.
Moreover, a helpful feature for parents is the Learning Report, which makes it easy to track the progress of their children’s studies. The system automatically stores all test results and uses them to provide feedback on the student’s current proficiency level, strengths, and areas that require improvement.
More significantly, parents who use FLYER’s virtual testing platform can save up to 80% on their kids’ exam preparation expenses!
4. Cambridge Starters exam prep books
Regarding the Starters practice tests, parents can explore the “Starters – Authentic Examination Papers” set. This set includes three books containing a total of nine Cambridge exams. These books are designed in a highly systematic and engaging manner, making it easy for children to absorb language knowledge presented vividly. Starters is no longer a boring test but an exciting English language learning experience for children.
Each Cambridge Starters book includes
- 3 official Cambridge exams.
- Exams that incorporate images and colors suitable for children in their age group.
- An answer key for the Speaking section, including potential examiner questions, suggested answers, and backup questions that examiners may ask, offers the best possible preparation and a clear knowledge of the test.
Children will rapidly become familiar with the exam question forms and acquire the abilities needed to receive the greatest results after studying the tests in this book set.
We hope that this article has helped parents select the best and most recent Cambridge Starters exam preparation materials for their kids.